The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn was finished. However, much of their mystique was only just beginning. With the publication of their Rites and Rituals by Israel Regardie, the secrets of this Magical Order were finally revealed to the world. As for the world of the Golden Dawn, it was one of Kabbalah, of Divine Will and one that believed that all things that were manifest on earth was somehow connected to one another through correspondences. Yet what effect did the Golden Dawn have on Magic after their dissolution? In the conclusion to this two-parter, Douglas goes through all of the consequences and positive virtues of this short-lived but infamous Magical Order.
- The Magicians of the Golden Dawn: A Documentary History of a Magical Order 1887-1923 by Ellic Howe
- What You Should Know about the Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie
- A Short History of the Golden Dawn
- The Occult Movement in the 19th Century – Lectures by Rudolph Steiner
- Francis Barrett
- Ebenezer Sibly
- Frederick Hockley
- Coffee at the Battle of Blythe Road
- Did Sir Walter Scott invent Scotland? A lovely perspective by Dr. Juliet Shields. If you prefer your information to be visual there is a video here.
- Hermetic Kabbalah
- The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune – Pretty much the only Hermetic Kabbalah book I can stand
- Stephen Skinner Discusses the Evolution of Magic
- Hermeticism? Sam Block has much to say about it. Plenty to chew over in this blog post, in this blog post and in this blog post. Sam is awesome and if you haven’t become acquainted with his work- get to it
- Dan Attrell lays out the some of the more interesting aspects of Christians taking Kabbalah for their own purposes. This is a must listen if Kabbalah is interesting to you. From Glitch Bottle Podcast, a wonderful program
- The Age of Secrecy: Jews, Christians and the Economy of Secrets 1400-1800 by Daniel Jütte – I love this book. If my recommendation is not enough, here is a fantastic review from Dan Harms’ Blog
- A Microcosm of the Esoteric Revival: The Histories of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram
- The Place of Enchantment: British Occultism and the Culture of the Modern by Alex Owen – A superb read
- Magic Made Modern? Re-evaluating the Novelty of the Golden Dawn’s Magic – A quick read worth your time
- Flying Rolls? What the hell does that mean? Francis King goes over it in his book Astral Projection, Ritual Magic and Alchemy
- Promethea by Alan Moore – A look at the Golden Dawn’s Magic (plus more, MUCH much more)
- Techniques of High Magic by Stephen Skinner – The Only book of practical Golden Dawn Magic that I can willfully suggest
Special thanks to @AntacaLeon for fielding a few questions and giving me the thumbs up on my Scottish comparison. There’s nothing greater than getting the thumbs up from a Scotsman.