Two words that are never far away in the english-speaking word are both “Satan” and “Satanism.” While many have ideas as to what both represent, much of the obscurity has been lifted from the philosophical beliefs that make up Satanism. Although there were a few groups and people that we could say were Satanic before the 20th century, Satanism as we all know it now is less than 60 years old. Based around the ideas of one man in particular, since its inception Satanism and ideas of what Satanists get up to has never been out of the public imagination for too long.
My Guest for this episode, Eddie is a Devil in God’s Country. He has a fantastic Instagram Page where he posts memes as well as an occasional picture of his pup Abe. Click the pic!
- Paradise Lost
- The Invention of Satanism – This is an excellent book
- Satanism: A Social History by Massimo Introvigne
- Children of Lucifer: The Origins of Modern Religious Satanism by Ruben Van Luijik
- The Devil’s Party: Satanism in Modernity
- Lure of the Sinister: The Unnatural History of Satanism by Gareth Medway
- Stanisław Przybyszewski
- Might is Right by Ragnar Redbeard
- The Works of Anton LaVey – The Satanic Bible – The Satanic Witch – The Satanic Rituals – The Devil’s Notebook – Satan Speaks!
- Anton LaVey – Into the Devil’s Den – Documentary
- Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan: Infernal Wisdom from the Devil’s Den by Carl Abrahamsson
- Occulture: The Unseen Forces That Drive Culture Forward by Carl Abrahamsson – Excellent chapter about Anton LaVey in this one
- Playing with Art and Artifice: Religious Satanism as Total Environment
- Satanism vs. Pseudo-satanism: Disambiguation and argument against conflation from within Satanism as a New Religious Movement
- Between Darwin and the Devil: Modern Satanism as Discourse, Milieu, and Self
- Michelle Remembers
- Uncover: Satanic Panic – A Canadian Story, this kind of thing happened all the time during the panic
- What Was the Satanic Panic?
- Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend by Jeffrey Victor
- Satan’s Silence: Ritual Abuse and the Making of a Modern American Witch Hunt by Debbie Nathan
- UK Satanic Abuse Scare: 25 Years on
- Speak of the Devil
- Hail Satan? – Documentary on The Satanic Temple
- Rethinking Satanism – Mitch Horowitz