The movement of people from the German speaking areas of Europe to the Americas brought many things. In Pennsylvania, many new customs and traditions formed, including a sort of Folk Magic. Taking its name from a specific American Grimoire, Powwow also known as Braucherei became hugely popular amongst the Pennsylvania Dutch. Taking us through all of the aspects of Powwow are two Powwowers, Jason David the Powwow Doctor, and Robert Matthew Phoenix the Powwow Guy!
Jason David, the Powwow Doctor is a constant seeker who has explored many facets of Spirituality and Magic. He has explored and participated in New England Traditional Witchcraft, Hedge Druidry, and Gullah Geechee Conjure, along with what he learned during his time as a Buddhist. Jason’s story and website can be found at The Powwow Doctor.
Robert Matthew Phoenix, the Powwow Guy since 2010, has done countless lectures and interviews about Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow. He is a Hexenmeister and faith healer who has set up the Website The Powwow Guy which stands to be The Greatest Resource for learning about Powwow you will find online. His YouTube Channel is a fantastic tour of all things Powwow as well. Head to the Powwow Guy for this treasure.
- Powwowing in Pennsylvania: Braucherei & The Ritual of Everyday Life by Patrick J. Donmoyer
- The Pennsylvania German Society
- William Penn
- The Heavens are my Cap and the Earth is My Shoes: The Religious Origins of Powwowing & the Ritual Traditions of the Pennsylvania Dutch
- Powwowing: A Persistent American Esoteric Tradition by David Kreibel
- The Dutch Art of Pow-Wow Medicine
- The Long Lost Friend: A 19th Century American Grimoire by John George Hohman edited by Dan Harms – My preferred version
- Pow-Wows or Long Lost Friend – An Online Translation
- Folk Religion of the Pennsylvania Dutch: Witchcraft, Faith Healing and Related Practices by Richard Orth
- Powwowing Among the Pennsylvania Dutch: A Traditional Medical Practice in the Modern World by David Kreibel
- The Red Church or the Art of Pennsylvania German Braucherei by C.R. Bilardi
- Lee Gandee: Hexenmeister, Teacher, Friend
- Strange Experience: The Autobiography of A Hexenmeister by Lee Gandee
- A Geometric Inspection of Pennsylvanian Dutch Hex Signs
- Hex Signs: Pennsylvania Dutch Barn Symbols & Their Meaning: Revised & Expanded by Don Yoder & Thomas Graves
- Modern Witches of Pennsylvania by John R. Crosby
- The Murder of Nelson Rehmeyer
- Hex Hollow – Witchcraft and Murder in Pennsylvania – A Documentary
- The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses
- Egyptian Secrets of Albertus Magnus
- Farmers’ Almanac