Symbols. We are awash in them. No matter where you are, ‘Things’ are being represented by other ‘things.’ For many people, strange symbols in books or elsewhere are their introduction to the world of the Occult. But what are symbols themselves, and how can they be used within a magical perspective? Alex joins me to try and get to the crux of the matter, and I lay out my perspective as to what they are and where they might come from.
Correction- Oh! When I say the word ‘Gazelle’ in the Pre-Show Quid Pro Quo, I meant to say ‘Lion.’ Whups.
- Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols by Adele Nozedar – A very good book to own, probably my favourite symbol encyclopedia
- Hunting for the Origins of Symbolic Thought
- Earliest example of Symbolic Thinking?
- Neanderthals were Artists and Thought Symbolically
- The Symbolic Mind: Apes, Symbols and The Evolution of Language by Janni Pedersen
- When Did the Human Mind Evolve into What it is Today?
- Horses Can Communicate With Symbols – Daily Grail
- Birth of the Symbol by Peter T. Struck – Excellent book
- Hidden Meanings in The Garden of Earthly Delights
- Commentaries on The Garden of Earthly Delights by Lee Van Laer
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman – Amazing Book. You want to be a Magician? Read it
- Sigils Reboot: How To Get Big Magic From Little Squiggles – Gordon White is one of the most important contemporary figures in Magic. One would do well to learn from him. If you’re well into your magical journey, His Rune Soup Premium Membership is certainly worth your time
- The Correlation Between Low Attention Processing and Advertising
- The Master and His Emissary by Iain McGilchrist – I stand by my word, this might be one of the most Important books written in the last 50 Years. Be sure to watch the Video
- Mythologean.net – Symbols and Meanings
- Dictionary of Occult, Hermetic and Alchemical Sigils by Fred Gettings
- … And finally- A Bit of Fun