In this episode of What Magic is This? we head back to the Fools Gallery with the enigmatic political French Occultist Éliphas Lévi. Pretty much most of what is considered Modern Occultism can be traced back to him. What did he write about? Only that all magic has some kind of direct lineage through all of history and that there is another world underneath this one. Interesting ideas. But how much of what Éliphas wrote was true? Douglas hopes to answer this (on his own) and lay down some thoughts on one of the Titans of Magic.
Correction – He died May 31st 1875. Not 1975. That would be impossible, even for him.
- Dogma et Ritual de Haute Magie – Part I & Part II
- An excellent New Translation of The Doctrine and Ritual of High Magic by John Michael Greer & Mark Mikituk
- A Bio and some interesting Links at Hermetic.com
- Jozéf Hoëné Wronski
- Baphomet – A easy to understand summary & a not-so-easy one
- The ‘Baphomet’ of Éliphas Lévi: It’s Meaning and Historical Context
- Eliphas Levi & The French Occult Revival by Christopher McIntosh – Probably the best Biography on Levi available. For now…