Starting in the evening of November 1st and carrying through until November 2nd, many Mexicans will visit the graves of their departed friends and family. This is Dia de los Muertos; The Day of The Dead. Every year, this celebration of ancestral veneration is observed throughout the country. How did it come about? What is the reason for it? Join Douglas for a very special, very personal episode of What Magic is This?
To Listen to the Episode CLICK HERE to open in another Tab
- Death and The Idea of Mexico by Claudio Lomnitz – A fantastic book if you are interested in reading about such things
- Day of the Dead Resource page
- Grim Fandango – A very lovely video Game
- When the Ancestors call for Dinner
- Some Altars from Morelia I, II & III
- Devoted to Death: Santa Muerte The Skeleton Saint by Dr. R. Andrew Chesnut – Very Special thanks to Dr. Chesnut for reading suggestions