After Astrology, the second most popular form of divination is Cartomancy. For over 500 years, we have turned to cards to show us how things were, are and what might be. Cards used include the Tarot, Oracle Cards, Lenormand Cards, and good ol’ fashioned Playing Cards. But how did this come about? More importantly, how do you do it? In this episode of WMiT? Doug breaks it down, with the assistance of a good friend, Brad. The cards tell stories to those willing to see them and one hopes by the end of this episode, that’s everyone.
Special Thanks to Andrew McGregor for contributing his perspective on Cartomancy! Andrew owns Canada’s premier Tarot Shoppe The Hermit’s Lamp situated in Toronto. Head there for some delightful decks, a stellar Podcast and even a Free Tarot eBook!
- Brief History of Cartomancy
- Fortune-Telling by Cards by P.R.S. Foli – Kinda useful. Kinda
- Mamluk Playing Cards
- Mamluk Cards – A somewhat recent reproduction of the Original Playing Cards. They look Amazing and are available for purchase. I want.
- Origins of Cartomancy – Mary K. Greer’s website is a treasure if Cartomancy is up your alley
- The First Deck made specifically for Fortune-Telling from jolly London-Town
- More info and some accounts of the Queen of Cartomancy Marie Anne Lenormand
- Lenormand Cards
- My current Favourite Lenormand Deck – The Maybe Lenormand by Ryan Edward
- Mariner: A Voyage with Samuel Taylor Coleridge by Malcolm Guite – One of my favourite Biographies. Did Sam predict the rest of his life in a poem?
- Where Was it Before the Dream? Time Loops and Creativity by Dr. Eric Wargo. Have I mentioned that you should get Time Loops?
- Is everything story? Even the junk parts of the building blocks of Life itself? Linguistic Characteristics of Non-Coding DNA
- A review of Lost Envoy: The Tarot Deck of Austin Osman Spare
- Lost Envoy: The Tarot Deck of Austin Osman Spare – Here’s also a great video from the editor of this Book Jonathan Allen about this magnificent Deck
- Camelia Elias is one of the greatest Cartomancers alive right now. Read her Blogs. To see her method, have a click here
- Tarology: The Art of Tarot with Enrique Enriquez. I resonate with the way Enrique uses the cards
- Simply Learn Tarot By Andrew McGregor – Free eBook!
- A Tarot of You by Andrew McGregor – Excellent book
- Camelia Elias on Andrew’s Podcast The Hermit’s Lamp – Two Tarot Titans have a Talk. Follow Andrew’s Podcast here, he talks with some of the greatest folks around
- Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson – An excellent book and I adore the historical research Paul did
- The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino – A short fun read but try to grok the card reading process in play
- Cyprianic Cartomancy – This is very much my kind of thing
- The History of La Loteria