Ask anyone what they think the 4th Dimension is and most likely they will say that it is ‘Time.’ Which is true, in some sense. But the 4th Dimension is more; so much more. It could be the lattice around which everything that has, is, and will happen- happens. The obsession with looking at higher dimensions and other worlds began in earnest in fin-de-siècle Victorian England. With figures such as Edwin Abbott and Charles Howard Hinton, people started to look closer at a dimension that we couldn’t see, but perhaps we could very well experience. On this Episode on WMiT? Doug and guest Amber tackle a topic that might have ramifications as to how you see your life, and perhaps how you orchestrate it as well.
Very Special thanks to Dr. Eric Wargo for his help and materials assisting in the creation of this Loopy Episode.
- Time Loops: Precognition, Retrocaustation and the Unconscious by Eric Wargo – I mean it. Get this book. No excuses. I don’t care who you are, you owe it to yourself.
- Carl Sagan explains the 4th Dimension – Now, I have issues with Carl, but he is still one of the most eloquent people that ever existed- he was born to explain things. For that, he must be recognized
- Notes on the 4th Dimension by John Crabb – You have to check this out. This is were you can find Hinton’s diagrams for the cubes he would play with to comprehend the 4th Dimension. Amazing article
- The Discovery of Hyperspace in Victorian Literature
- What does the 4th Dimension look like?
- Flatland- A Romance of Many Dimensions by A. Square (Edwin Abbott Abbott) – I love this work so much. Just great
- Flatland Animated – From Carl Sagan but still a fun animation
- What is the 4th Dimension? by Charles Howard Hinton
- Charles Howard Hinton – Interesting chap
- The 4th Dimension by Charles Howard Hinton
- The 4th Dimension by P. D. Ouspensky – Not talked about during the episode but interesting nevertheless
- Eternalism and the Block Universe
- The Libet Experiment– Free Will?
- The Temporal Factor in Consciousness by Stephen Kosslyn- An excellent read on about the Benjamin Libet Experiments, well worth your time
- Ioan Petru Culianu – Fantastic writer. Crazy death RIP
- Authors of the Impossible by Jeffrey Kripal – One of the great books of the last 20 years
- Wormholes, Freud and Jacob the Dreamer– From Eric Wargo’s Essential Blog The Nightshirt
- What’s Expected of us in a Block Universe: Intuition, Habit and ‘Free Will’– Also from The Nightshirt. Read everything on here. Eric is a fantastic writer. Writes ‘Like a Dream’ some might say
- An Experiment with Time by J. W. Dunne – Absolutely essential book
- Rudy Rucker is a goldmine of great reading. He has a book about the 4th Dimension (called by other names but it’s the same book). He edited segments of Hinton. His fiction is wonderful and blazingly original. I wish more people knew about him and his work
- Other Worlds by Christopher G. White – Great book. If you’re like me and find the things I find interesting interesting you must read this
- Nude Descending a Staircase No. 2 by Marcel Duchamp- Maybe one of the greatest paintings of all time
- Salvador Dali: The painter who entered the 4th Dimension
- Every Day I do an Invocation to Aiōn from PGM XIII. If this sounds interesting to you, it is basically a riff on The Heptagram Rite
Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus) By Salvador Dali 1953