For many, the most influential and austere Grimoire of Magic from the Islamicate world is the Shams al-Ma’arif or the Sun of Knowledge. Inside this notorious book are many Magic Squares which combine words and numbers which are believed to be the only true way to communicate with Angels and spiritual entities called Jinn. A book that has been held in high regard by many, up to this point it has not been translated into English- Until now. Joining WMiT? is the team that undertook the task- Scholar Amina Inloes and Artist J.M. Hamade.
The forthcoming English translation of the Shams al-Ma’arif was translated by Amina Inloes. Amina is is an Islamic theologian and academic with a PhD in Islamic Studies from the University of Exeter, with a special interest in esoteric theology and the uncanny. She is the author of Women in Shi‘ism: Ancient Stories, Modern Ideologies and Amina can be found on Twitter by clicking the link below!
J.M. Hamade is a talismanic artist, florist, diviner, writer, and educator. Specializing in various traditions of ‘Image Magic,’ with a focus on astrology, star lore, and talismanic craftsmanship, his work seeks to bridge contemporary aesthetics with time tested magical techniques rooted in astrological magic. J.M. can be found curating the Instagram account Arabic Magic which can be accessed by clicking the link below!
- Shams al Ma’arif: The Sun of Knowledge by Ahmad al-Buni – Translated by Amina Inloes and with Contributions from J.M. Hamade
- Full Colour scan of a copy of the Shams al-Ma’arif Part 1 and Part 2. This was done by the wonderful website Books of Magick
- Magic and the Occult in Islam: Ahmad al-Buni and his Shams Al-Ma’arif – Presentation by Saiyad Nizamuddin Ahmad
- Introduction to Islamicate Occult Science
- Talismanic Magic in the Islamicate World
- The Arabic Influences on Early Modern Occult Philosophy by Liana Saif
- Islamicate Occult Sciences in Theory and Practice
- Power & Protection: Islamic Art and the Supernatural – Ashmolean Museum exhibit Teaching notes
- Islamicate Occultism: New Perspectives
- Islamic Occult Studies on the Rise
- Magic and Divination in Early Islam
- Book of Fixed Stars
- The Arabic Hermes: From Pagan Sage to Prophet of Science by Kevin van Bladel
- The Picatrix
- Islamic Esotericism & Ghayat Al-Hakim with Dr. Liana Saif – Glitch Bottle
- Jinn, Angels & Islamic Esotericism with Dr. Ali A. Olomi – Glitch Bottle
- The Hidden Jinn Podcast
- An Insight Look At The Beauty Of Arabic Calligraphy
A Sham’s ج / Pleiades Talisman from the upcoming book