Late 1970’s England. An iconoclastic group of misfit Magicians got tired of the same old story that in order for Magic to work, one had to be a part of a Tradition and go through necessary steps. To this they said ‘Nonsense! All one needs is belief and how one utilizes that belief for it to work!’ They thus birthed the first form of Postmodern Magic that was based entirely off of Results- Chaos Magic. Baked into this movement and the Chaos toolkit was a pragmatism that if the Ritual or Spell worked, it was kept and modified, if it didn’t work it was discarded and something else was attempted. In this first Episode of perhaps a series of episodes, Doug and his Sorcerous guest Gaius provide a short yet succinct introduction to the world of Chaos Magic.
My Guest on this episode Gaius has a Youtube Channel and he is also on TikTok! Check him out and support.
- Chaos Magic in a Nutshell – From the originator himself! Peter J Carroll
- The History of British Magic After Crowley by Dave Evans – Pretty good book
- Review of Paul Huson’s ‘Mastering Witchcraft’ by my guest Gaius
- Kenneth Grant
- The Chaonomicon: Quintessential Chaos for the Serious Magician by Jaq Hawkins
- I Was There: A History of the IOT by Dave Lee
- The Illuminates of Thanateros and the Institutionalization of Religious Individualisation
- The Secrets of the Illuminates of Thanateros
- The Book of Results by Ray Sherwin
- Specularium. Peter J. Carroll’s Personal Website. Find all his Work and Books here. And for Chaos’ Sake, read all of them
- Peter J. Carroll interview from Abrasax Magazine
- The Magic of Chaos by Peter J. Carroll
- The Octavo– A Definitive Review by Gordon White
- The Ice Magick Wars
- Chaotopia. Pesonal Website of Dave Lee- Amazing things await
- Enfolding.org – Phil Hine
- Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine – Must Read.
- Oven-Ready Chaos by Phil Hine
- Phil Hine General Essays on Magic– Unbelievably great stuff here
- Stealing the Fire from Heaven by Stephen Mace – A Classic
- KAOS Magazine
- Visual Magic by Jan Fries – Great book
- Chaos & Sorcery by Nicolas Hall – Huge thanks to Aidan Wachter for reminding me of this book
- Post Chaos by Jason Miller
- Chaos Magic is 8 Things Right Now – Gordon White’s assessment from 2010
- Pieces of Eight by Gordon White
- Magic – Rune Soup
- Chaos Magic: Fracking the Spirit World
- A Review of Six Ways by Aidan Wachter by my Guest Gaius
- Six Ways: Approaches and Entries for Practical Magic by Aidan Wachter – Not an out-and-out Chaos Magic book but one of the finest books for beginning your Magical practice
- Hey! Whaddaya Know?! I did an Episode about Sigils!
- Sigils, Servitors, and Godforms
- Egregores! from Ramsey Dukes
- Paul Weston – Synchronicities abound!
- The Power of Silence by Carlos Casteñeda
Cover Image by Noah MacMillan
2 thoughts on “Chaos Magic Part I”
Nice to see Marik’s article mentioned here! And of course Mace, Fries, and Dukes.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Cheers Aidan! I’d put almost all of these books above most of what is being peddled as ‘Occult Essential Reading.’